Bonfire night, November 5th, is around the corner and our pets will probably have to suffer the excessive noise and flash of partygoers yet again. There is nothing wrong with the traditional celebration of British history; unfortunately, it can nowadays impinge on the health of many of our pets.
A few suggestions to keep your pet safe this year are;
- Put your pet in a central room as far away from the noise as possible.
- Close all curtains
- Keep lights on
- Put a TV on relatively loudly.
- Try to be home for them and keep them entertained.
- Use an ‘environmental destressing product’ such as the nutraceutical, ‘Zylkene’ or the synthetic pheromones in ‘DAP’ for dogs or ‘Feliway’ for cats. (All can be supplied by the Isabelle Vets practice, and they are not prescription products.)
- If you have a pet severely affected in previous years, discuss with your vet about medical alternatives for this year.